I adore lox. Usually on bagels with capers, red onions, lemon, and cream cheese . For Mother’s Day, I went off my very restrictive extreme diabetes diet for the day, and bought good Nova locks to serve with fresh bagels (and all the aforementioned fixings) as part of the brunch we made for Mom. There was so much good food though, that we ended up with leftover Lox.
I passed on bringing home any of the leftover bagels. I can’t have these on my new diet.
But, the lox…heck yeah. What to do with lox when one cannot have bagels? Brunch with friends at Sherman’s Deli & Bakery (one of my FAV Palm breakfast and lunch spots) a couple months ago provided my inspiration. Sherman’s is known for their Nova lox, which I always have with bagels. But this time, I opted for their scrambled eggs with Nova lox because I wanted their potato pancakes instead of bagels. Heaven!
Due to my current no-sugar very very low-carb dietary needs, I decided to try to replicate Sherman’s scrambled eggs with Nova lox. My version turned out quite good! Because I have to also watch my very high cholesterol, I opted for one egg plus Egg Beaters. But, if cholesterol isn’t an issue for you, you can go for two eggs. My recipe is for one serving, because I made it for dinner one night when Hubby was working late (I love breakfast for dinner). Do the math to make it for more people. Serve with fresh fruit, fresh tomatoes, or a fresh avocado on the side.
- Lasco Smoked Nova Salmon, 2 oz
- Egg, fresh, whole, raw, 1 large
- Pepper, black, 1 dash
- Egg substitute, liquid (Egg Beaters), 3 tbsp
- Scallions, raw, 1 tbsp chopped
- Canola Oil no stick cooking spray, 1 spray, 25 gram(s)
- Chop or rip lox into bite-sized pieces.
- Beat together egg, egg substitute, and scallions.
- Coat small skillet with a single spray of the oil spray and heat pan to medium.
- Pour in eggs. These start to set fast. Fold eggs and scallions with a spatula for 1 minute, over medium heat. Add lox and continue to scramble for 1-2 more minute until eggs are cooked through to your liking.
- Serve with sliced avocado, tomatoes, or fruit. If you don't have to watch your carbs, serve with a toasted bagel and cream cheese.