Jeff and I came across this recipe late last year in one of our issues of Bon Appetit, and it is undoubtedly our hands-down favorite way to cook and eat broccoli now! I don’t think a single month has gone by without us making it at least once. I love broccoli pretty much any way it is cooked, but this particular method is so incredibly flavorful, that we keep going back to it.
What’s even better, it’s super healthy and Weight Watchers-friendly. Just enough olive oil gets used to fulfill their suggested daily serving of 2 teaspoons per day.
Even the kids love it. Although, when making it for them, we do omit the crushed red pepper flakes.
Following is our modified version of the Bon Appetit recipe, a result of what we’ve found to work best for us.
- 4 cups broccoli crowns, cut into florets
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- ¼ teaspoon dried crushed red pepper flakes (adjust to suit your taste)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.
- Place broccoli in a large bowl. Stir together olive oil, garlic, and crushed red pepper flakes in a small glass. Drizzle over broccoli, tossing evenly to coast. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Place broccoli on a rimmed baking sheet lined with foil (makes for an easier clean up).
- Roast for 15 minutes. Pull sheet out of oven to toss broccoli again. Roast another 8 minutes.