If you have followed The Taste Place for a while, you know that brussels sprouts are a newish discovery for me, and are now one of my favorite vegetables. But, they are usually associated with fall or winter cooking. Summer is for grilling. So I was thrilled to come upon this recipe, and immediately asked Hubby to try it out. Perfection.
This easy tangy grilled version of brussels sprouts is now one of our favorite side dishes, and the main way we eat them in the Greene house. Give these brussels sprouts this summer!
If you are a fan of dijon like we are, these sprouts pair perfectly with our grilled pork tenderloin in spiced bourbon sauce.
- 1 pound brussels sprouts
- ¼ cup water
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil (you can cut down on the oil by as much as half)
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard (we prefer whole grain)
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Rinse Brussels sprouts. Trim off stem and then split in half, pulling off darker, loose leaves. Place brussels sprouts in a large microwave safe bowl with ¼ cup of water. Cover with a paper towel and microwave on high for 4 minutes.
- Meanwhile, whisk together olive oil, mustard, salt, and pepper in a small bowl. Remove the brussels sprouts from the microwave and drain. Pour mustard sauce over sprouts and toss to thoroughly coat.
- Heat gas or charcoal grill to medium high heat. Using tongs, place brussels sprouts on non-stick grill rack or grill wok, keeping the bowl nearby with the sauce reserved. Grill until browned and slightly charred on both sides, flipping half way through cooking, 4 to 5 minutes per side.
- Remove brussels sprouts to the bowl with reserved mustard sauce. Toss gently to coat and serve immediately.