One of my favorite people recently gifted us with a homegrown butternut squash. We’ve made some good roasted butternut squash and a pretty good butternut squash soup, but both are more Fall dishes, and this was the first week of August! So we did a little online research looking for a recipe that didn’t involve having the oven on or simmering something on the stove all evening, and found a nifty recipe for Garlic-Balsamic Grilled Butternut!
Since I like grilling, and we both like garlic and balsamic vinegar, this seemed like a perfect recipe. So on a day when I was smoking a couple of chickens, I did this recipe as a side (with a little less oil and a little more garlic), and it was remarkably easy, and paired very well with it.
- 1 Butternut Squash
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 2 Tbsp Balsamic Vinegar
- 1 Tsp Dried Thyme
- 4 Cloves Garlic, diced/crushed
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Peel squash and cut into ½″ slices
- Mix oil, vinegar, thyme, garlic, salt and pepper in a re-sealable plastic bag
- Add butternut squash to bag, and shake or squish to coat
- Place squash slices on pre-heated greased grill or non-stick grill grate, reserving the marinade
- Grill about 5 minutes per side, or until light char marks are visible
- Place grilled squash slices in bowl, and toss with remaining marinade
- Let sit 5 minutes