I thoroughly enjoy a good salad for dinner, even one without meat. However, while my husband gladly eats salad as a side dish, if I expect him to count it as a full meal, it has to have meat — and beef is a big plus. Our son is even more skeptical of salads being served as a real meal.
This Weight Watchers’ dish one of the tastiest salads I have ever enjoyed, without being loaded with fat. And the tender flavorful Asian-infused grilled beef has made this dish one of my husband’s favorite hot summer night dinners as well (he handles the grilling).
But, when I suggested it for a kid meal, we weren’t too sure how well received the meal would be with our thirteen-year-old son Hunter. When Hunter found out what was on the menu for dinner, he wasn’t too keen on the idea. But Hubby (ingeniously) pursuaded Hunter to think of the dish as a regular meal, isntead of a salad, to think of it as a grilled steak, with salad and sweet mandarine oranges on the side — all piled on top of each other. The trick worked, Hunter dug into it, and gave it his offical approval.
- 3 clove(s) (medium) garlic clove(s), minced
- ¼ cup(s) rice wine vinegar
- ¼ cup(s) low-sodium soy sauce
- 1½ Tbsp peanut oil
- 1 pound(s) lean sirloin beef
- 8 cup(s) mixed greens
- 1 cup(s) canned unsweetened mandarin orange(s), drained
- 1 Tbsp hoisin sauce
- ⅓ cup(s) packaged chow mein noodles
- Combine garlic, vinegar, soy sauce, oil and hoisin sauce in a large bowl; add steak. Allow to marinate in the refrigerator for 2 to 4 hours or overnight. Remove steak to plate; reserve marinade.
- Preheat grill or broiler. Grill or broil steak for 8 minutes on each side for medium or longer until desired doneness. Remove and slice steak into thin strips. Meanwhile, pour reserved marinade into a small saucepan. Bring to a boil; cook 1 minute more, stirring occasionally.
- To serve, place 2 cups greens on each of 4 plates. Top each with about 3 ounces of steak, ¼ cup of oranges and 1 heaping tablespoon of noodles; drizzle each with about 1½ tablespoons of cooked and cooled marinade.