There really isn’t anything better than a nice juicy pink grilled steak. Except maybe a nice juicy pink grilled steak smothered in mushrooms sauteed in red wine, butter and shallots. Wait, make that sauteed in red wine, butter, shallots and heavy cream. Oh yeah.
This is definitely one of those occasional splurge items if you’re on Weight Watchers like I am (if you aren’t, have at it!). While most reduction sauces are a bit heavy on the butter, this Tyler Florence version uses very little butter and oil. However, the cream is what will get you. Hook, line, sinker…and waistline. But, it’s worth it.
So, enjoy and give this a try the next time you grill steaks this summer. And if you’re really trying to watch those calories, sacrifice that extra glass of wine at dinner, or do like I do…and walk it off.
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- Extra-virgin olive oil (we used 1 teaspoon)
- 2 shallots, minced
- 2 pounds assorted mushrooms, such as crimini, oyster, shiitake, chanterelle, or white, trimmed and sliced
- Leaves from 2 fresh thyme sprigs
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- ½ cup red wine (we used pinot noir)
- ¼ cup fat-free low sodium beef broth
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh chives
- Place a clean skillet over medium heat. Add the butter and a 2-count drizzle of oil.
- When the butter starts to foam, add the shallots and saute for 2 minutes to soften.
- Add the mushrooms and thyme; season with salt and pepper.
- Stir everything together for a few minutes.
- Add the red wine, stirring to scrape up any stuck bits; then cook and stir to evaporate the alcohol.
- When the wine is almost all gone, add the reserved beef juices.
- Let the liquid cook down and then take it off the heat.
- Stir in the cream and chives, and season with salt and pepper.