Eggs, andouille, garlic, onions, mushrooms, spinach and red pepper flakes. What could be better? In our opinion, the addition of sun dried tomatoes.
I discovered this recipe shortly after Jeff and I started dating, and we both instantly started drooling over it. Jeff made it one lazy Saturday morning for me, and then again on a long weekend to my parents’ timeshare in Rosarito, Mexico for my birthday that first year — served with mimosas, of course. It has since become one of my very favorite brunch dishes, and my husband makes it for me at least a couple times a year (like Valentine’s Day last year). It’s too spicy as-is for our kids, although they could handle it if we eased up on the red pepper flakes. But, frankly, I love keeping this as a special romantic brunch dish for just the two of us.
This recipe is surprisingly Weight Watchers-friendly for a nice brunch dish. Yes, it’s 8 PointsPlus per serving, but it is packed with 17 grams of protein and a nice helping of fresh vegetables.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 8 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup chopped andouille sausage (about 6 oz.)
- 6 sun dried tomatoes (the kind not packed in oil), soaked in water, chopped
- 10 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic (about 3 cloves)
- ¼ teaspoon red chile flakes, or to taste
- 6 ounces spinach, washed and thoroughly dried (about 2 qts.)
- Hot sauce
- Heat olive oil in a large nonstick frying pan over medium heat. Add onion, mushrooms, salt, and pepper, and stir often until onions are light golden, about 10 minutes.
- Increase heat to medium-high, add sausage, and stir often until sausage has browned slightly and released some fat, about 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, whisk together eggs and 3 tbsp. water.
- Reduce heat to medium and add garlic and chile flakes. Stir until garlic is fragrant, about 1 minute. Add spinach to pan and toss with tongs until it has wilted, about 2 minutes. Transfer sausage-vegetable mixture to a bowl and wipe pan clean.
- Add eggs to pan and scramble just until set, 4 to 5 minutes, then gently stir in sausage-vegetable mixture. Serve with hot sauce if you like.