If you are one of our regular blog readers, you know that I am always on the hunt for good slowcooker recipes.
I tried this Taste of Home recipe out on the family during one of our bad August heat waves, when we were trying to avoid turning on the oven and stove. It was super quick to throw together before heading off to work, and we let it cook on low the entire day. After getting home from work, we cooked the pasta and finished the final steps. Although the recipes says to cook on low for 4-5 hours, we left it in all day while at work, and the chicken was still nice and moist.
Hubby and the kids gave the recipe their stamp of approval and said they’d like to have it again, but I want to try it with a vegetable thrown in next time (maybe fresh green beans) to balance it out a bit more. The original recipe called for too much meat and their portion sizes were not clearly defined — particularly in the nutritional notes. So, next time, I will measure everything out, add a vegetable, and re-post it with the Weight Watchers Points values.
- 3 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut up
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- ⅓ cup orange juice concentrate
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons water
- ¼ to ½ cup chopped cashews
- Hot cooked pasta
- Place chicken in a 3-qt. slow cooker.
- Combine the onion, orange juice concentrate, rosemary, salt and cayenne; pour over chicken.
- Cover and cook on low for 4-5 hours or until chicken juices run clear.
- Remove the chicken and keep warm.
- In a saucepan, combine flour and water until smooth.
- Stir in cooking juices. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until
- Stir in cashews.
- Pour over chicken. Serve with pasta.