I definitely struggle with good Points-friendly breakfasts during the work week. I have never been the kind of person who will get up early enough to make a healthy breakfast before work. I struggle with getting up to exercise in the morning, so, there is no way that I am wiling to set my alarm even earlier to prepare breakfast. Most of the time, I resort to something store-bought from the freezer aisle, or simply grab a banana and yogurt.
These mini frittatas are the perfect solution for me to stick to my Weight Watchers plan on workday mornings without sacrificing flavor. I like to make and freeze a full week’s worth on a Sunday evening, then grab one on my way to work, and heat and eat it at the office.
- 2 spray(s) cooking spray
- 1 pound(s) frozen hash brown potatoes, thawed and drained
- 4 large egg(s), beaten
- 1 Tbsp fat-free skim milk
- ⅛ tsp table salt, or to taste
- ⅛ tsp black pepper, or to taste
- 2 oz cooked lean ham, finely chopped
- ⅛ cup(s) sweet red pepper(s), finely chopped (2 Tbsp)
- ⅛ cup(s) green pepper(s), finely chopped (2 Tbsp)
- 2 Tbsp onion(s), finely chopped
- ½ cup(s) low-fat shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat 8 muffin tin holes with cooking spray. Spread potatoes around bottom and press potato up sides of each muffin hole; place in oven and cook for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, beat eggs and milk together in a medium bowl; season with salt and pepper. Add ham, peppers, onion and cheese to bowl; mix to combine.
- Remove potatoes from oven (after cooking for 10 minutes) and press potatoes down firmly with a spoon so that they are spread out like mini piecrusts (potatoes should cover bottom and sides of each hole). Pour about ¼ cup of egg mixture into the center of each muffin hole.
- Return pan to oven and cook until potatoes are crisp and golden, and the egg mixture is set, about 15 minutes. Remove from oven and let sit about 5 minutes before serving. Yields 1 frittata per serving.
- Frittatas can be made ahead of time and frozen in a plastic container. Remove one each evening and allow it to thaw in the refrigerator overnight. Microwave for 30 seconds in the morning.