I found my new favorite summer cocktail — strawberry mojitos –a couple months ago while reading one of my favorite food blogs, White on Rice Couple. I came across their post during one of the few real heat waves we had in Orange County and southern California this summer. And this drink totally hit the right spot on a hot Saturday afternoon and evening! So refreshing and cooling!
Since ripe strawberries work best, you can take advantage of those grocery store sales on cartons of berries that are close to turning, as long as you plan to make your mojitos within a day.
So, if you’re not quite ready to say goodbye to warm Summer weekends or dinners, give this taste of Summer a try!
- 1.5 ounces of simple syrup*
- about 3 fresh strawberries
- about 4-5 fresh spearmint sprigs (chopped if you prefer smaller mint pieces in your cocktail)
- soda water
- ½ lime
- 2 ounces of light rum
- In a chilled glass (about 10-12 ounces), muddle the simple syrup, strawberries and mint leaves together with the back of a spoon or muddler. Crush the strawberries and mint leaves well.
- Squeeze the juice from the lime into the glass, add the rum and stir well. Fill glass with ice and top off with soda water.
- Garnish with mint sprigs or strawberry slices.