Kim and Barry had us over to their house for a dinner party in 2009, where they served this fabulous dish. We immediately asked Kim for the recipe, which she was happy to share on our site.
B&B Chicken Cacciatore
Author: Rustic Garden Bistro
Recipe type: Main Course
- ½ a large chicken
- 1 16-oz can chopped tomatoes
- 3 tbsp of olive oil
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tbsp of butter
- 1 tsp fresh thyme, chopped or in whole sprigs
- 3 or 4 small cloves of garlic
- ½ tsp fennel
- 1 medium sized yellow onion, chopped
- ¼ cup chopped fresh Italian parsley
- 1 cup chopped celery
- ½ a red or yellow bell pepper, chopped or sliced
- ¼ cup chopped fresh curly parsley
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 4 small carrots, chopped
- 1 8-oz can of tomato sauce
- ½ cup chicken stock (3 cubes, if frozen)
- ½ cup dry red wine
- Cut chicken into parts, rinse and pat dry.
- Sauté chicken for 20 minutes in olive oil & butter in a large frying or sauté pan, turning occasionally until golden brown.
- Remove chicken. In same pan, sauté garlic, onions, celery, bell pepper and carrots until translucent, about 10 minutes. Add olive oil if needed. Add tomato sauce, tomatoes, bay leaf, thyme, fennel, both parsleys, salt and pepper to taste. Simmer for 10 minutes uncovered.
- Add back chicken, chicken stock and red wine. Simmer covered for 20 to 30 minutes.
- Serve on hot plates, placing chicken in center of plate and covering with a generous helping of sauce.
- Garnish with fresh parsley and thyme.